Middle School (Grades 6-8)
Greetings Parents and Families,,
It is an honor and a privilege to welcome you to AIM Academy! AIM prides itself on being able to provide the most up-to-date information regarding past accomplishments, current programing, and upcoming events and news. I encourage you to peruse this site, as well as our social media outlets on both Twitter and Facebook to fully understand why "The Entire World is Talking About AIM Academy."
There is no more noble profession than being and becoming an educator. It is without a doubt the most rewarding career for those of us who have chosen to make teaching our profession. For the last 15 years, I have enjoyed teaching, supporting and motivating students across the lower, middle, and upper school divisions. Students and parents alike do not care how much you know, until they know how much you care, which is why my professional fulfillment comes from gaining the trust of students and families. As an administrator some of my greatest accomplishments have been watching the teachers I have the distinct privilege of working with each day receive awards and accolades for their commitment to excellence in their respective classrooms. Having earned both Masters and Doctorate level degrees in Educational Leadership and Organization, I am confident my experience as a teacher, coach, curriculum coordinator, dean of students and division head have prepared me to lead our students and staff at AIM Academy into our next decade and beyond.
Entering my fifth year at AIM Academy as the Head of Middle School has afforded me the intellectual growth and stimulation that any educator would welcome. I have often said that each day is a learning opportunity for all of us at AIM. Although our mission allows us to specialize in teaching students who learn differently, our cutting-edge, research-to-practice curriculum, multi-sensory learning environments and passionate educators are without a doubt the reason so many of our students continue to make academic, social and behavioral gains year after year.
In closing, I encourage you to spend some time exploring all of our programs and upcoming events, not only in our amazing Middle School, but throughout each division. AIM continues to be a community that believes in the importance of educating the whole child through a successful Home and School relationship, and we look forward to welcoming you to our community.
Dr. Edward J. Gallagher III
The Road To Independence
Becoming an independent learner is the key objective of the Middle School. Students are given the tools necessary to help them organize and manage their workload with the scaffolding of teacher and peer models. An interdisciplinary curriculum challenges critical thinking skills, and students learn how to identify connections between ideas and how one area of study can inform or influence another. Middle School classrooms are small by design to allow for differentiation of instruction alongside collaborative project-based learning.
- 1:1 laptop program beginning in 6th grade.
- Advisory meeting occurs every morning where students plan and prioritize for the day and week.
- Executive Functioning Skills are not only interwoven throughout the curriculum but are reinforced bi-weekly at advisory. Students engage in activities meant to develop such competencies as response inhibition, sustained attention, task initiation, goal-directed persistence and metacognition, just to name a few.
- Personal Learning Profiles are created for each student and data-driven progress monitoring enables teachers to add and review changes in each student’s learning profile.
- Self-advocacy coaching and practice is commonplace in Middle School. Students are encouraged to approach teachers about extended time, quieter work spaces, various forms of assistive technology and other accommodations on a day-to-day basis.
- Meditation and Mindfulness techniques are infused into daily classroom routines and instruction. These methods help to alleviate and manage the stress that students can experience in the classroom setting.