Please read the School Vaccination Requirements for Pennsylvania Schools.
Children in ALL grades (K-12) need the following vaccines:
- 4 doses of tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis * (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of polio
- 2 doses of measles, mumps and rubella (German measles) **
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B (Hep B)
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or confirmed case and date of Chicken Pox
*Usually given as TDP or tDAP
**Usually given as MMR
7th Grade ADDITIONAL immunization requirements for entry:
- 1 dose meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV)
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) [if five years have elapsed since last tetanus immunization]
12th Grade ADDITIONAL immunization requirements for entry:
- 1 dose meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV)*
If one dose of MCV was given at 16 years old or after, that will count as meeting this requirement.
The only exemptions to the school laws for immunizations are:
- medical reasons;
- religious beliefs; or
- philosophical/strong moral or ethical conviction.
Even if your child is exempt from immunizations, he or she may be excluded from school during an outbreak of vaccine-preventable disease.
- Vaccines are held to the highest standard of safety.
- The United States has the safest, most effective vaccine supply in history.
- Vaccines are continually monitored for safety and effectiveness.