AIM Lunch Program
AIM Academy’s lunch program was launched with the assistance of the Vetri Foundation for Children, a non-profit foundation which supports schools in establishing thoughtfully-conceived school lunch programs, with meals made from scratch. Since that time, we have broadened our program to include our entire community (faculty, staff, students, and those with food issues) with three daily choices. For full details about our lunch program, click here.
Key aspects of the AIM Lunch Program
- A team of in-house chefs prepare meals from scratch with local and seasonal foods.
- Students enjoy family-style seating, set and clear their tables, and sort recyclable and compostable materials.
- We are proud to reduce our carbon footprint through our Sustainability Partnerships.
- We participate in the “Meatless Monday” movement, started by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- We source our dairy from Balford Farms, a local, family-owned dairy distributor.
- We purchase as many food items as we can from The Common Market, our Philadelphia liaison to an impressive number of local, independent farms.
- Currently, much of our kitchen waste goes to feed local animals, including Chef Andrew Totaro’s nine chickens.
- Students grow herbs and greens in our Tower Gardens, and share their harvest for use in the Lunch Program.
- Our cooking oil is converted to biofuel by Waste Oil Recyclers.
- We recycle all paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum and plastic.
Did You Know?
Our team of in-house chefs make as much of the food as possible from scratch?
Even things such as mayonnaise, salad dressings, hummus, burger buns and sub rolls, and “sweets!”
The AIM Lunch Program has uses ingredients from over 20 local, independent farms?
Dessert alone can use ingredients from 3 different farms!!
The AIM Salad Bar is the most amazing one in town?
We are not kidding – chicken is grilled, and Certified Humane eggs are hard-boiled daily, a veriTABLE ;-) rainbow of vegetables are hand-cut, greens are washed and spun, croutons are seasoned and baked, tortilla chips are cut and fried, and hummus is “zhuzh-ed”, and this is only half of what there is to choose from!!
The AIM Kitchen uses only 3 healthy oils?
We use only sunflower, grapeseed, and Extra Virgin olive oils, as they are non-GMO.
Did you know that the Lower School eats Family-Style?
Each table has a Captain who bring trays filled with place settings and food to the table.
You can be a Student Chef du Jour?
Bid on the opportunity to be a Student Chef du Jour at our AIM for the Stars Gala. Chefs choose their menu and recipes, work with the Kitchen Crew to make each component, and announce and serve their special meal. Crazy Fun!