AIM Lunch Program
AIM Academy’s lunch program was launched in 2010 when we moved into our River Road campus. Since that time, we have broadened our program to include our entire community (faculty, staff, students, and those with food issues) with three meal choices daily. We are a Farm-to-Table program using local and seasonal food whenever possible. For full details about our lunch program, click here.
Key aspects of the AIM Lunch Program
- A team of in-house chefs prepare meals from scratch with local and seasonal foods.
- Students enjoy family-style seating, set and clear their tables, and sort recyclable and compostable materials.
- We are proud to reduce our carbon footprint through our Sustainability Partnerships.
- The kitchen's food waste is collected each week by Back to Earth Compost Crew, a woman-owned, small business in Montgomery County. Sometimes our compost looks good enough to eat!
- We participate in the “Meatless Monday” movement, started by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- We purchase as many food items as we can from The Common Market, our Philadelphia liaison to an impressive number of local, independent farms.
- Some of our kitchen waste goes to feed Chef Andrew Totaro’s chickens, and several lucky dogs.
- Students grow herbs and greens in our Tower Gardens, and share their harvest for use in the Lunch Program.
- Our cooking oil is converted to biofuel by Waste Oil Recyclers.
- We recycle all paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum and plastic.
Did You Know?
Our team of in-house chefs make as much of the food as possible from scratch?
Even things such as mayonnaise, salad dressings, hummus, burger buns and sub rolls, and “sweets!”
The AIM Lunch Program uses ingredients from over 40 local, independent farms?
Dessert alone can use ingredients from 3 different farms!!
The AIM Salad Bar is the most amazing one in town?
We are not kidding – chicken is grilled, and Certified Humane eggs are hard-boiled daily, a veriTABLE ;-) rainbow of vegetables are hand-cut, greens are washed and spun, croutons are seasoned and baked, tortilla chips are cut and fried, and hummus is “zhuzh-ed”, and this is only half of what there is to choose from!!
The AIM Kitchen uses only 3 healthy oils?
We use only sunflower, grapeseed, and Extra Virgin olive oils, as they are non-GMO.
Did you know that the Lower School dines Family-Style?
Students arrive to find trays filled with place settings and food, which they are responsible for sharing with one another.
You can be a Student Chef du Jour?
Bid on the opportunity for your child to be a Student Chef du Jour at our AIM for the Stars Gala. Chefs choose their menu and recipes, work with the Kitchen Team to make each component, and announce and serve their special meal. Crazy Fun!